Albany's Heritage Walk Trail
Map courtesy of Andimaps
1. Old Gaol (1850s)
One of several buildings comprising the Albany convict labour hiring depot (Depot 41). In 1872 the barracks building was converted into a civilian gaol. It is now leased to the Albany Historical Society and displays show gaol life.
Open 10 am to 4 pm daily. A small admission fee applies.
2. The Residency (1850s)
Originally built in the 1850s as the commissariat and stores for the convict hiring depot, the building was substantially extended to become the Government Residency in 1873. In 1953, the then magistrate moved to other quarters, complaining that the Residency was cold, damp and uncomfortable. Opened as a site of the Western Australian Museum in 1975, it now contains displays showing the natural and social history of the region.
Open 9.30 am to 5 pm daily. Free admission.
3. Seawall and Shoreline (1854)
This was the original seawall. The map at this site shows the shoreline in 1854 and today.
4. Brig Amity Replica (1976)
The Brig Amity replica was constructed in 1976. The original Amity was built in Canada in 1816. The brig carried the first settlers to Albany, arriving on 24 December 1826, and anchored near this site.
5. Mouchemore's Cottage (1850s)
Built originally as a fisherman's cottage, it was purchased by the Mouchemore family during the 1890s. It was one of five buildings in the area. The town swimming beach was adjacent and during storms waves would soak the building. Now part of the WA Museum-Albany.
6. Site of Flag Pole
Marks the point where Major Lockyer raised the flag to proclaim Frederickstown part of the British Empire on 21 January 1827. The settlement was officially named Albany in 1832.
7. Foundation Park
Major Lockyer built the first cantonment around this area in 1827, including the Commandant's residence, a hospital, cookhouse, morgue, powder magazine, barracks, vegetable garden, kitchen, quarters for officers, commissariat, blacksmith's shed, boat shed, saw pit and flagpole. The area remained the centre for the town's recreation until the advent of the motor car. Local Aboriginal people used to congregate here.
8. Wollaston Cottage (1830s)
Of unusual gabled design, this cottage was originally built in the 1830s at Point King, from bricks which arrived from England as ship's ballast. Purchased by Henry Wollaston in 1850, it was dismantled and reconstructed at the present site. There have been many alterations since then.
9. Patrick Taylor's Cottage (1832)
Constructed by John Morley, of wattle and daub with a shingle roof, this was one of the earliest buildings in the settlement. It was later purchased by Patrick Taylor, who lived the rest of his life here. It is now leased to the Albany Historical Society.
Open 11 am to 3 pm. Gold coin donation.
10. Wesley Church (1890) and Manse (1903)
These buildings are fine examples of the later Victorian style. The church has walls of local granite and elaborate brick window surrounds. Built in 1903, the manse features elegant ornamentation and turned verandah posts. It was a gift to the church by prominent merchant John Robinson and his wife.
11. St John's Church (1841) and Rectory (1850)
The Anglican Church of St John the Evangelist is the oldest church to be consecrated in Western Australia. The ceremony was conducted by Bishop Short from Adelaide on October 25th, 1848. At consecration, the church could accommodate the total population of the town - 170 people. Construction began in 1841 and went through many stages. The Rectory was commenced in 1850. Walls were of 'cob' - a traditional mixture of clay, marl, chalk, gravel and straw, 45 cm thick. The brick upper floor was added in 1875. A second rectory was built behind the original in the 1980s.
12. York House (1894)
The first purpose-built legal chambers in the Great Southern of WA, built for the Albany law firm Haynes Robinson. Described at the time as 'fitted with speaking tubes, gas lighting and electric bells'.
13. Albany House (1878)
Originally built for the Union Bank, great rival of the Bank of Western Australia. The Union Bank paid an unheard of 600 pounds sterling for the site. Competition between the two banks caused an 'interest rates war' in Albany.
14. Women's Rest Centre (1908)
The original section, built as a shelter for cab drivers, was the gift to the community of lawyer Frank Rawlings Dymes and his heiress wife Ellen Belinda. Expanded to include a women's rest centre and public toilets.
15. London Hotel (1909)
Reflected Albany's importance as a seaport, rail freight and passenger terminal. Built on the site of a wooden inn, the 1850s Chusan Hotel, named for the first P & O Line mail steamer to visit Albany.
16. R Bell & Co (c.1887)
A classic country store. Originally several buildings, erected over a number of years, holding separate enterprises, which included a bakery, tea rooms, a rural merchant and accommodation. The original 1887 bakery remains at the rear.
17. Albany Courthouse (1895-96)
Designed by architect George Temple Poole. Rare convolute arch doorways of local granite in the 'dry stone' style - faced, but not fixed, in cement - constructed by a local stonemason, W Trott. Also rare, a large, external British coat of arms carved in Sydney freestone. The building also housed the Albany Police Station until about 1970.
This heritage walk trail, known as The Amity Trail, was established in June 2000 as a City of Albany and WA Museum-Albany millenium project.
Follow the route shown on the map and marked by mosaic tiles in the pavement. The mosaics were created by Albany schoolchildren and community members for the millenium.
Along the walk, which will take around 30 minutes without stops to visit the museums, discover the answer to questions such as -
- What brought the first settlers to Albany?
- How did they get here?
- Where did they first settle?
- Where did they worship?
- How did they get around?
- Where did they go for recreation?
- Where were offenders imprisoned?
Guided walks around Albany
For guided walks around Albany with JJ Tours, contact John on 0407 387 484 or Joy on 9841 3180, email firstname.lastname@example.org.