top of page
2.png

The New Romantic

Major Lockyer built the first military garrison around this area in 1827. It included the Commandant's residence, a hospital, cookhouse, morgue, powder magazine, barracks, vegetable garden, kitchen, and quarters for officers, commissariat, blacksmith's shed, boat shed, saw pit. Local Aboriginal people used to congregate here.

Major Lockyer raised the flag to proclaim Frederick Town as part of the British Empire on 21 January 1827. The settlement was officially named Albany in 1832.

pexels-karolina-grabowska-4207892.jpg
Heritage Walk Map.jpg
bottom of page